Let’s face it. Unless you are a trust-fund baby or a Kardashian, most of us are going to have to work for an extended period of time. While it might be fun to have a large trust fund and not having to work, being a Kardashian is just gross and nasty. So for the rest of us that have to work. How do you go about it and not let it suck your soul dry?
Work has become a four-letter word. People love to complain about, yet for most of us, we will be working for half of our life (or longer). And those working years are our prime years.
Here is listicle of advice for my kids on surviving and thriving at work.
- Plan now or you will be working FOREVER. Work early – Work often. Save early – Save often.
- Working forever is fine if it’s what you want. But wouldn’t you rather have the flexibility to work or not work?
- When you start a new job, bust your butt the first day at work. Make that good first impression on the boss and coworkers. This applies to a teen working at McDonalds as well as to an adult working in an office.
- Find one or more things you love to do. Things you would do for free every day for the rest of your life.
- Figure out how to make money doing those things and do them. Even if it’s not much money at first and you have to do them part time.
- If you don’t find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die – Warren Bufffett
- Working for The Man is ok. Working for yourself is far superior.
- You don’t have to have a high salary to get wealthy. But it helps.
- Have MULTIPLE revenue streams. Examples: W2 job, consulting, rental income, eBay sales, cut grass, start a business, dividends, blogging, create YouTube content, Uber etc.
- Remember to have fun.